Winona Area Chamber of Commerce 2017 Committee Plan
Committee Name: Business/Education Network (BEN)
Committee Chairman: Shannon Schroetke
Committee Purpose Statement: To develop our community’s future workforce by providing students with a deeper understanding of career opportunities and aligning skills with current workforce needs; engaging employers directly with students, education and training providers; and better aligning programs and curriculum to the realities of the Minnesota economy.
- Improve the ability to recruit a skilled and able local workforce
- Partner with MN Chamber to meet the expectations of the Bush Foundation Grant
- Provide an avenue for area businesses and educational institutions to effectively work together and understand each other’s needs and processes
- Maintain a committee structure that is inclusive and encourages collaboration between all three higher education institutions, K-12 educators and business leaders.
- Continue to pursue heightened engagement from more schools in the area
- Assure that tracking is in place to measure impact for all projects
Committee Projects/Activities for 2017-18:
- Provide “CEO in the Classroom” for 8th grade students throughout
- Launch “Life After High School” presentations in 11th grade classrooms
- Host Career Exploration Expo for area sophomores. Move event to main campus at MN State SE, expand number of participating schools to a new total of 12 to 15.
- Enhance resources and encourage use of Hot Jobs Cool Companies website
- Launch REACH program at WSHS
- Explore feasibility of Hot Jobs Cool Companies – Health and Human Services Careers
- Teacher in the Workplace – summer 2017
- Offer tours for WAPS (possibly other schools?) - New Teacher Orientation – fall of 2017
- Work with MN Chamber to manage expenses and revenues connected to Business Education Networks/Bush Grant activities
- Pursue grants and local partners for funding of REACH initiative
- Assure that projects not create a net loss for the Winona Chamber